With tonight being the opening ceremony for the 30th Summer Olympic games in England, I thought it might be appropriate and fun to come up with some ideas for how to celebrate the games, British-style.
- Eat a meal of fish and chips. Doesn’t really matter what kind of fish and what kind of chips. To Americanize this, serve fish sticks and potato chips.
- Say everything in your very best British accent. For some help, watch this video. Riveting stuff here.
- Men, wear a derby. Women, wear one of these hats.
- Read your favorite Charles Dickens classic. The whole thing, cover to cover.
- Serve tea and scones every day. Black tea with milk and sugar, served in a China tea cup.
- Use only the metric system for the duration of the Olympics.
- Uses words like dialing code instead of area code, swimming costume instead of bathing suit, zebra crossing instead of crosswalk, and cheerio instead of good-bye.
- Drive on the left side of the road. If a cop pulls you over just say you’re driving British today and they’ll completely understand, say “Cheerio,” and send you on your way.
- Wear tweed, lots of tweed. It’ll feel real nice in the middle of summer.
- Prepare a delicious meal of sheeps internal organs. It’s called haggis and you can get a recipe here.
That should give you a good start.
Any other suggestions?